15 December 2011

oh, fudge!

until this week i don't think i had ever made fudge, vegan or otherwise.  i really did think it was pretty advanced stuff and was in awe to see people gifting homemade fudge around the holidays.  {what kind of martha stewart gods & goddesses are they?!} 
 
well let me fill you in on a little secret.  it's actually really easy to make your own homemade vegan fudge!  but that doesn't make it any less tasty.  in fact, this fudge is the creamiest, richest fudge i think i've ever had.  and i made it myself.

i don't think i've stopped patting myself on the back actually ever since.

{peppermint fudge}

you should totally consider making your own too.  i used this recipe which is originally found in hannah kaminsky's my sweet vegan.



i opted for the peppermint variation of the recipe.  the hardest part of the entire process was the chopping of candycanes.  those things splinter and shatter and fly across the room like it's nobody's business.  so let's just say i called the candy cane crushing session short and so with only 4 chopped i omitted folding them into the fudge and instead added an additional teaspoon of peppermint extract.  





the results, as i mentioned were amazing. 

so good in fact that i will be doing my own homemade fudge gifting this year.  and i plan on taking all the martha accolades that come my way without sharing the secret of how easy this sweet delight is.

17 comments:

  1. Jess- this looks amazing! I have never made fudge before either and would love to try this! One problem- the link to the recipe wasn't working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shoot, i was too busy patting myself on the back that i missed that - should be good to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe love the title.=) looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh fudge indeed. those pretty with those colorful peppermint pieces! i have to make some fudge soon too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You say Oh, fudge; I say oooh! Fudge! They look great. The green stripe makes it even nicer. As for chopping candy canes, I've had my fare share of problems and messes. Someone tipped me off to put them wrapped in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin but that might make pieces too crumbly and small for your purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made these! but i didn't add any candy canes, (not a fan of crunchy candy canes on fudge). mine didn't set up though. it tastes really good, but is more the consistency of a thick delicious frosting. i spread it on ginger cookies i made. i will definitely try again though since it tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty and yum! I made some chocolates with crushed candy canes this weekend and ended up just pulsing them in the food processor to contain the mess. It worked ok. Your fudge looks fantastic with the candy on top. Very festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the title of this post. Reminds me of "A Christmas Story"... And this fudge is insane looking--and by insane I mean AMAZING!! I cannot wait to make it. I'm gonna bring these Christmas morning too. Fudge is a breakfast food, right??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks richa & kelli!

    maud & nikki: thanks for this candy crushing tips! next time i'll try the ziplock/food processor.

    ashley your fudge flop sounds like it turned into an amazing cookie experience!

    cara, if there's ever a day to break out fudge at the breakfast table, it's gotta be christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made fudge either! My Sweet Vegan was the prize for the cookie swap I went to, now I'm especially sad I didn't win. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you just convinced me to make fudge as christmas gifts! here's to hoping i have as easy of a time as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! The multicolored stripes really add a lot. So happy you liked the recipe with you tasty modifications. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dessert gifting idea - and they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo this fudge looks perfect! I think it's better that there aren't candy cane pieces in the fudge, just on top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. kaitlyn, i think you & i both should treat ourselves to a pre-xmas gift and pick up our very own copies of my sweet vegan!

    i hope you have an easy time with it too caitlin! :)

    thank you SO much hannah for the recipe & creative inspiration! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. heather, barb & ashley ~ thank you all too! xo

    ReplyDelete